Have you enjoyed, these amazingly beautiful fall days like I have? The sun, the sky, the trees, and the vineyards – all in their glory as we move closer to winter.
This time of year, however, can come with some increased risks to our health, the topic of our conversations in this issue. We’ll share with you some tried and true ways to manage those risks, preventing illness for yourself and your family through the holidays and into the winter.
Lizzie will give you some practical, simple exercises to help manage stress, and Marsha will share some nutritional tips. You’ll find their easy to implement contributions right after this.
When we talk about prevention of illness, the most important body system is our immune system – the system that keeps us well by fighting off detrimental influences. Viruses are a particularly important cause of winter illness, and they are much less likely to cause havoc when they meet a healthy immune system.
When I think of things that support the immune system, I first think of life style choices, including:
- Adequate sleep
- Healthy diet, high in antioxidants and low in sugar -sugar being a significant factor in dragging down the immune response
- Adequate water intake
- Moderate use of alcohol or none
- Effective management of stress
- And then there are supplements in several categories that can be beneficial in maintaining our health.
Following are some of these that we carry in the office:
Immune system support
All listed doses are for adults and teens.
- Vitamin D – as drops or as NEW chocolate flavored chewables! (effective in preventing Seasonal Affective Disorder) – the recommended dose depends on your lab level of vitamin D
- Ten Mushroom Formula – 1-4 caps up to three times per day
- Vitamin C – NEW Ultra Potent-C, which is 25% more effective in promoting natural killer cell activity and white blood cell function, buffered – take 1000mg up to four times per day at first onset of symptoms
- Zinc – 30mg per day
- Probiotic – Ultra Flora Plus or Parabiotic Plus – 1-2 per day with meals
- Chinese medicine formulas for general immune support, respiratory health, nasal and sinus support
- Multi-vitamin and minerals – caps or liquids daily dosing depending on the product
- Cortisol Manager – cortisol control to promote sleep (not for those already on adrenal support)
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin B complex
- Probiotics – see above
- Digestive enzymes – regular formulas as well as NEW items in stock for Sensitive Stomach or Gluten and Dairy intolerances
- DGL called Rhisinate – NEW chocolate chewable! No taste of Licorice! Soothes the stomach, it’s my new favorite!!!!
- Fish Oil – keeps bowel function optimal, anti-inflammatory, and many other benefits
- Fiber Formula and Blue Heron with mild stimulative effect on the bowel
Other Helpful Products
Available at your local health food store.
- Oscillococcinum by Boiron- Homeopathic remedy for flu – take at the first signs of flu
- Sea Salt gargles – for throat pain and throat inflammation – 1 tsp to 1 cup of warm water
- Zinc Lozenges – start within 24 hrs of the first symptoms of common cold – take every 2-4 hrs but no longer than 5 days
With gratefulness for good health in this holiday season, a Happy Thanksgiving to all of you!
Jane Kennedy, CFNP, MN, MPH