Why Take Supplements?
It’s a common question that arises from time to time in patient’s minds, primarily if one hasn’t used them before. In the preventative Integrative Medicine model that I follow in this practice, supplements of herbs, vitamins, minerals, and
Many research studies point to the benefits of appropriate supplementation with vitamins and minerals that are not found in our foods nowadays, due to the depletion of the soil. Eating a balanced diet with as much organic, local foods as possible is always a baseline for good health, but it is not enough, especially as the body shows signs of aging.
As I opened a copy of one of my recent professional journals, I see a plethora of articles on the benefits of many different vitamins, minerals, and herbs. It is reassuring to see that the supplements that I am recommending to you have significant benefits identified by continued research – highlights below. This research is the reason to use supplements to improve the quality of life, well being, and prevention of disease. Things we all want!
My approach is to identify, in the baseline and yearly labs, where weak points may be in your system and then prescribe appropriate supplements to support those systems. Then as we see the system correct itself, we can take off supplements no longer needed. But if we want to maintain optimal health, some supplements will continue to be our friendly support system throughout our lives!
Look thru our Supplement Resource folder in the lobby the next time you are in to see the research behind the facts below.
is a list of some of the benefits of our supplements but is not intended to be
an exhaustive list.
- -Vitamin D – low levels linked to higher risks of breast cancer; it reduces arterial stiffening, which contributes to heart attack, stroke, cognitive decline, and more,
- -CoQ10 or Ubiquinol – reduces a peptide in the brain called, calcitonin gene-related peptide, that causes migraines; improves aging skin; essential for mitochondrial energy production, required when on statins,
- -B Vitamins – prevention of cardiovascular disease, depression, neurogenerative disorders, skin damage, vision loss, supports healthy adrenal function,
- -Magnesium – prevents high blood pressure, which contributes to the development of heart disease, stroke, kidney failure, and dementia. 64% of men and 67% of women in the US have an inadequate dietary intake, 80% of people over age 71 have low daily amounts,
- -Green Tea and its extract EGCg – reduces risks of cardiovascular disease and cancer, protects against neurodegeneration,
- -Probiotics – new research confirms they can provide control of allergy symptoms as well as many other positive effects like improved immune function, gut function, brain and mood function, and specific ones even help with weight loss,
- -Tumeric/curcumin – reduces chronic inflammation leading to multiple disease states that can affect every system and organ in the body; these include metabolic disorders, cardiovascular disease, stroke, osteoarthritis, Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s, cognitive decline, cancer; and slows aging.
patients first meet with me, I often prescribe a few specific supplements, a
dietary focus, and encourage exercise. It is incredible that when we meet for
the second visit, the update I most often hear is they are feeling better with
just those changes. Then we can proceed
to create optimal health with the hormones that we balance.
Supplements work when they are well made and tested for their purity and effectiveness. In our office, we provide high-quality, therapeutic grade products that have met rigorous testing standards and that are formulated based on the most up to date research. You can trust them to work for what we expect them to do and not to cause adverse effects from being poorly formulated with substandard ingredients.
Happy journey to optimal health…with supplements as our trusted friends!