A new and exceptionally well-researched book has come out recently that I want to share with you. It presents the research data on Estrogen and demonstrates the effects it has on the health of every woman. In the spirit of giving this season, please share this article with all the women you know, especially those who have been fearful of using Estrogen. It is time to let go of myths in the media and opinions of the medical community that have surrounded Estrogen for the past 18 years.
Written by a respected Oncologist and researcher, Avrum Bluming, MD and writing partner, Carol Tavris, PhD, Estrogen Matters systematically reviews hundreds of articles and research findings of this critical and essential hormone, Estrogen, in women’s bodies. They track historically how, for decades, the research consistently showed that Estrogen reduced chronic disease risks and causes of death in women when they took it around and after menopause. This research included significant reductions in heart disease, osteoporosis, dementia, and breast cancer.
The first doubt of the benefits of long term estrogen usage were reported only when a pre-mature report from the committee (not the actual researchers) of the Women’s Health Initiative study came out in 2002. But, as results of that study were further reviewed, even by the researchers doing the study, these statements were shown to be inconclusive and reported as such.
Unfortunately, the media has done very, very little to set the record straight so that women can stop living in fear of Estrogen. The medical community, in general, has drug it’s feet in endorsing the accurate research findings of Estrogen. This research would encourage the use of this low-risk essential hormone for the well being and disease prevention available to all women, even for those who have or have had breast cancer.
The following are some of the powerful conclusions of the book:
- Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) is the most effective treatment for all menopausal symptoms, not only the familiar hot flashes, night sweats, and insomnia – but also heart palpitations, joint and muscle aches, headaches, bladder problems, sexual discomfort, and depression, which many women do not realize are often signs of menopause.
- Women taking HRT live on average, several years longer than those not taking it.
- Research shows that seven times as many women die of heart disease than of breast cancer annually. In fact, heart disease, not cancer, is the leading cause of death among breast cancer survivors, and HRT can decrease that risk by 30-50 percent.
- The same number of women die annually following osteoporotic hip fracture as die of breast cancer. HRT can cut this risk in half.
- There is no current way to prevent or treat Alzheimer’s disease and other forms of dementia – except Estrogen.
- There is no evidence to support the current standard medical advice to take HRT at the lowest dose for the shortest period of time.
- Estrogen does not increase the risk of breast cancer. Breast cancer is not a disease, as some professionals believe, “of having too much estrogen in your body.” Even breast cancer survivors may safely take Hormone Replacement Therapy (Estrogen) under a doctor’s supervision, and it will not increase their risk of recurrence.
I am so grateful for the leaders in the field of Integrative Medicine who took the vast body of research and developed effective protocols for the safe use of Estrogen within the bio-identical hormone medical community. That research helped to make Estrogen available to meet individual patient needs. What an exciting and rewarding area of medicine for me to train and work in for the past 18 years! And to benefit from personally.
I am very glad that many of you have chosen to work with me, sometimes for years, in taking Estrogen and therefore getting the true benefits this remarkable hormone has to offer. Please share these findings, especially with those women who have mistakenly believed the falsehoods about Estrogen and may be living in fear that it will cause breast cancer. It does not.
This Holiday Season, may your days be filled with joy, peace, and the love of friends and family. May you realize that the greatest gift you give is your very own good health and well being. It takes time, attention, money, and work, but the dividends do not compare to anything else!
Here’s to all of us women enjoying the health benefits of Estrogen!!!!! May many more join us in 2020!! Especially the one’s just starting into peri-menopause typically in their early 40’s!